This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Fidel, Flipper & Jeffrey Goldberg

I sometimes wonder what I would say to Fidel Castro, if I ever, perchance, met him. I've thought about this in the general way that one does regarding any historic figure or world leader.

You can even make this into a parlor game: "If you were having coffee with __(fill in the blank)__,  what would you ask him/her?" For instance, if I were having coffee with Elvis, I might ask him, "Do you regret your jumpsuit phase?"

If I happened to run into Fidel - casually, let's say, in a parking lot - I would probably be completely tongue tied.  I would be afraid to open my mouth, lest I say something utterly ludicrous, classically ignorant or inadvertently insulting. I don't know much about politics; I'd be stepping in quicksand if I attempted even a general query. I have a very loose grasp of Cuban history; not enough to feel safe conversing with one of its biggest shapers about the subject.

I guess I would have to go with dolphins as a topic of conversation. When I was growing up, I was a big fan of the TV show "Flipper." (Whenever I think of him, I can still hear his fishy chortle!) Who doesn't like dolphins?!

In all honesty, I don't know much more about dolphins than I do about politics or history but I'd love to learn. They're almost as mysterious and intriguing to me as Fidel himself, although I don't have as many conflicted feelings about Flipper.

For more on Fidel and dolphins, please read this article by Jeffrey Goldberg:
Fidel: 'Cuban Model Doesn't Even Work For Us Anymore'

I found the link while cruising the always-interesting Havana Times site. And, when in Havana, be sure to put the aquarium on your must-see list. I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment