This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Monday, February 21, 2011

An April 14-21 trip update...and an admission

I can't stop raving about Cuba – especially my favorite place, Marea del Portillo, and the Granma region. I find myself gushing with the least provocation. (My apologies to any unsuspecting souls whom I verbally flooded without solicitation!)

I do try to restrain myself a little, every now and then, and to refrain from preaching to the same people or repeating myself too much. However, I must admit, I am in danger of being a zealot. In fact, I've recently begun to publicly acknowledge that I'm a Cuba-vangelist. Not normally an evangelical sort of person, this is a big step for me.

Wooh! I feel better now that I've got that big admission out of the way. Now, on to other things....

On Feb. 19, I hosted an information night for people who will be joining me at Club Amigo Marea del Portillo, April 14-21. What a nice bunch of folks! I think this is going to be a great gang to travel with, as well as to hang out with on a lovely Cuban beach. There are a number of writers in the group, as well as artists, and, unlike the October all-women trip, this posse includes several men.

Today, Feb. 21, is the official deadline for booking this trip at $598/week for the VIP Cabana package, but I can still add more people to the group right through the beginning of April (as long as there is still space at the resort). The only caveat is that the price is no longer guaranteed. Having noted that, however, I would hasten to add that, in my somewhat limited experience, last-minute prices for April at this off-the-beaten-track all-inclusive resort should be pretty close to $600, if not below.

Even if you aren't a writer, you are most welcome to join April's "Write in Cuba" tour – the writing workshops are optional and the fee for participation in them is separate. (It's an additional $60 or more, depending what you can afford, for the whole package, including one-on-one mentoring by established and versatile writer Karen Wehrstein, who will be leading the workshops.) So far, we have 18 people in the group, including Karen and me, but we'd be happy to have a few more.

For further data about the workshops, the trip in general or what's included in the VIP package, you can use the links listed in "ABOUT MY PROJECTS." Above this section, you will also find links to online photo albums that show the Club Amigo Marea del Portillo and some of the surrounding area.

Please feel free to contact me directly (jcgb@vianet.ca) to inquire about the April 14-21, 2011, trip or other groups that I will be putting together in the future. At present, I'm tentatively planning to organize another All-Girl Posse in October of this year and to offer an April 2012 trip with the general theme of art and spirituality. If interest continues, I will keep arranging a women's trip each fall and a themed trip each spring.

Come on along and let me introduce you to some of the wonderful people and beautiful places I love in Cuba!

Your friendly neighborhood Cuba-vangelist,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment