This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

POEM: Love Poem to Cuba

I like playing with images when I write, particularly poetry. Here’s something recently written but not dated - atypical for me. When I wrote it, I wasn’t really sure I liked it, so I set it aside, intending to rework it later. In reading it over today, I’ve decided it doesn’t completely suck, so here it is!

Love Poem to Cuba

I want to absorb you into my pores
like saltwater and sunshine,
run my fingers through your sand
and let your waves lick my toes.
I want to nibble your pineapple,
sip the milk of coconuts and
let mango juice flow freely.

I want to know you as intimately
as the feel of my own hand.
I want to taste your essence,
suck the marrow of your bones
and understand why
you are you.

And when the night comes,
I want to lie with you, cradled
between mountains and beaches.
You are in my breath and
I am in your air, as we
inhale.

– J.R.C.
Nov. 21, 2010

1 comment:

  1. A warm and sensual poem where your affection shines through, Jen -
    Shirley Mc

    ReplyDelete