This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

I'm learning Spanish from Alex Cuba!

No, he's not teaching me personally, I must reluctantly admit, but I am learning some very nice words and phrases from him, nonetheless.

This excellent Cuban-Canadian musician has cleverly printed his song lyrics in both Spanish and English on his CDs. So, I read along – my tongue still gets tangled when I try to sing along, although I can manage the odd melodic word or two.

I have to say, Alexis Puentes (Alex Cuba is his stage name) is one romantic guy! I enjoy his music but, in truth, I'm not sure if I'll ever use phrases like "amor infinito" in casual conversation. Still, it's fun to practice tuneful pronunciation.

I'll add a link to his website, so you can check him out...I mean, check his music out. Young as he looks, he's the father of three and, at last report, was living happily ever after in Smithers, B.C., with the woman who inspired him to immigrate and, undoubtedly, inspired many of his beautiful love songs.

I think you'll like his music, and the beat's bound to get your feet moving. Now, if I could only find someone to teach me to dance salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment