This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Friday, August 20, 2010

POEM: Before the Stars

This poem is partly about a fabulously fun week I spent with friends at my favorite little resort, Club Amigo Marea del Portillo. While there, the region experienced a very mild earthquake. It was such a tender tremor that most people slept right through it - and missed a gorgeous sunrise!


-------------------------------

Before the Stars


Before this all began,
I knew you well,
as you knew me.
We danced before the stars,
without the need for veils;
then we slept a hundred years.
But you dreamed me up
as I conjured you,
and we danced again.

After the band went home,
we danced some more,
surrounded by friends,
beneath happy stars.
I danced in bare feet,
dreamed with pure joy
and the earth shook gently.

Even after I went home,
I called to you: shalom,
come dance with me;
all will be well.
And you replied: shalom,
we will dance well,
my long-dear friend.

Here, on this crisp night,
the moon is a small smile.
There, in your warm land,
you see the same smile.
The stars are charmed,
and the dance goes on.

- J.R.C.
Feb. 15, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment