This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Friday, August 20, 2010

POEM: Letters to a Friend

This poem was inspired by frustration. After several months of sending letters to a friend in Pilon (a town next door to Marea del Portillo), without receiving a response, I began to understand the shortcomings of the Cuban postal system. We eventually established intermittent e-mail correspondence.

------------------------------

Letters to a Friend

There’s so much unsaid between the lines.

My thoughts tumble like stones
in the undertow of my sleepless mind
as I drift amid the blanket waves.

I want to give you each glistening stone,
plucked from this roiling surf, one by one,
and tell you what it means.

Much has been said in the letters I’ve sent.

More words on a page would say nothing new;
mere words on a page can’t fully convey
what my heart needs to say.

I want to see your eyes
as you hear my voice
when I tell you the truth
that lies between the lines;
and when I confirm
what you already know.

There’s so much unsaid.

– J.R.C.
Feb. 2, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment