This blog's title means "Cuban-hearted woman" (very loosely translated!). I settled on this name because it had a nice ring to my unschooled ear and, more importantly, because I think the Cuban people seem to have so much
heart, and they're in my heart for that reason. In general, the people I've met in Cuba are quite consistently open-hearted and big-hearted in the way they relate to each other or to visitors in their beautiful land. A piece of my heart now resides in Cuba, with the warm, wonderful friends I've made there. This blog is not intended to be a guide to Cuba, just a forum for my eclectic bits of writing – poetry, opinion pieces and information gleaned from my personal experience and reading.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

POEM: She is Moonlight

I wrote this poem for one of my dear friends in Pilon. She and her family have taken up residence in my heart.

------------------------------

She is Moonlight
(For Yolaimis)


Her beauty’s moonlight through trees,
subtle as slow-burning coals.

When she smiles, the branches part
and the moon beams brilliantly.

Her eyes are Venus and Mars,
brighter than the winking stars.

They flash a different hue when
rightful anger drowns her heart.

And, they fill a room with warmth
reflecting her lovely soul.

She walks with grace and dances
beautifully, her husband says.

When she whispers through my mind,
she is moonlight.

- J.R.C.
July 25, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment